Last year, graduating seniors could bring only three guests to Commencement. This year, some students will have as many as 60 family members and friends present when they graduate as a result of the University’s decision to move the Commencement ceremony to Notre Dame stadium.“Parents from each year would say, ‘It’s really hard on us to have so few guest tickets for such an important event and can you please do something about that?’” University Registrar Harold Pace said.As a result of the change, seniors can have an unlimited number of guests, and their guests will be able to sit together in the stadium — something that would not have been possible in the Joyce Athletic Center.Commencement had been held in the Joyce Center since 1969, but the Center’s recent renovations made seating limited and sparked the decision to change locations, Pace said.“We were already down to three or four tickets per family. We didn’t feel like that’s where we needed to go in the future,” Pace said. “We decided with this renovation that it was the year that we needed to make formal recommendation to move to the stadium.”Pace estimated that 25,000 people will attend the ceremony Sunday, a substantial increase from the 9,000 that attended in the past. He said the crowd is expected to fill half the stadium.The large bulk of the crowd will be guests, Stephanie Maenhout, senior administrative assistant for the Office of Registrar, said.Approximately 22,000 guests are expected to attend, with students bringing an average of eight guests each, she said.“The responses that I got were wonderful. It was like yes, I really do have that many family members coming. The one has 60 coming,” Maenhout said. “We think it’s wonderful.”Pace said there will be two large screens broadcasting the ceremony in the stadium, as well as a broadcast in DeBartolo Hall for those who wish to be inside.Commencement was last held in the stadium in 1959. Commencement has also previously been held at the Grotto, University Mall, Stepan Center and Washington Hall.In addition to the change in Commencement location, the University will hold diploma ceremonies separate from Commencement.“What happened in the past was graduating students would go to the field house and faculty were there to distribute the diplomas to them, but not in ceremony,” Pace said. “They would actually walk into Commencement holding their diploma in hand.”Assistant Registrar Lora Spaulding said this method of diploma distribution was missing a key element.“What was lacking there was the individual recognition,” she said.Eighteen diploma ceremonies, separated by department, will take place across campus Sunday afternoon.Pace said the decision to implement diploma ceremonies also came in response to parent and student feedback.“We had requests from parents saying that would be really nice if they could actually see their student receive their diploma in hand and we felt that was an important part of the weekend,” Pace said.An additional change this year will be the time of the ceremony, Pace said.Previously, the ceremony was held Sunday afternoon, but this year it will be held at 9 a.m., Pace said.The addition of diploma ceremonies, which needed to occur Sunday afternoon, contributed to the time change, Pace said.“We really ruled out having a University ceremony on Saturday because some family members might not have been in town,” he said. “The other factor is since it is outdoors, there are fewer thunderstorms in the morning than in the afternoon.”In the event of rain, the ceremony will proceed as planned. If the weather is severe —lightning, high winds or heavy, persistent rain — the ceremony will be moved to the Joyce Center. A message will be sent to graduates’ cell phones via the ND Emergency Alert System, Pace said.Each graduate is allotted three guest tickets if the ceremony is moved to the Joyce Center, but severe weather will not affect the number of guests who can attend the diploma ceremonies in the afternoon, Maenhout said.Pace said the decision to move Commencement to the stadium will be a long-term change. “It is our location moving forward,” he said.Spaulding said she thinks the change will be a positive one.“There is no other venue that can handle the number of people that come,” she said. “I think the students are excited about being able to graduate in the stadium.”Students can pick up guest tickets today at the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York President Obama will nominate Loretta Lynch, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, which includes Long Island, as to replace outgoing U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, who announced his resignation in September, according to the White House.The announcement will come Saturday in the Roosevelt Room at the White House, according to a statement from the administration. The news comes after widespread new reports Friday speculating about Lynch’s possible ascension to the top post at the U.S. Department of Justice.When asked for a response regarding the reports, Lynch’s spokeswoman at the US Attorney’s office said, “we have no comment.” If confirmed by the U.S. Senate, she will be the first African American woman to hold the post.Speculation about President Obama’s pick to replace Holder has picked up once the midterm elections have passed. News reports following Holder’s announcement said Obama would nominate a candidate sometime after the election, which did not go well for Democrats.When a reporter broached the subject at a press conference on Wednesday, Obama declined to discuss the matter before a formal announcement is made.“We have a number of outstanding candidates who we’re taking a look at now, and in due course I will have an announcement,” Obama said. “But I’m confident that we’ll find somebody who is well-qualified, will elicit the confidence of the American people, will uphold their constitutional obligations and rule of law, and will get confirmed by the Senate.”As the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Lynch is charged with leading federal investigations in Brooklyn and Nassau and Suffolk counties. She has served in that position since 2010, when she was appointed by Obama. She held the same position from 1999 to 2001, under President Bill Clinton.Lynch was appointed by Holder to the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee in 2010, and was elevated to chair in 2013.In recent years, Lynch has prosecuted white collar criminals—the most high-profile being the successful prosecution of “mini-Madoff” Nicholas Cosmo—Long Islanders linked to terrorism, gangs, and doctors overprescribing prescription painkillers, among other notable crimes.Prior to her second stint as the Island’s top federal prosecutor, Lynch was a partner at Hogan & Hartson LLP.
New years resolutions are being made, goals are being set, ‘new year, new me’ is trending and I couldn’t be more excited. I love this time of the year, likely because I geek out over personal development. It’s a time to reflect on the year that’s passed and plan for the year ahead.It’s not hard for me to come up with goals. I have a goals list about a mile long, but where I struggle is prioritizing which ones I want to focus on. As someone who likes to bite off more than they can chew sometimes, I remind myself that I can’t make all these changes at once. I need to be intentional with what I want to accomplish and how. It is important to write down your goals, so they are visible and hold you accountable. Have you written down your 2019 goals yet?I won’t get into the nitty gritty of my goals list, however there are a few I want to share. I mentioned my passion for personal development and some of these goals come from some reading and reflection I have been doing. I hope they spark some inspiration and reflection for you too. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Every once in a while, I read something that stops me in my tracks. That happened to me last week.My friend John Spence sent me an article (Entrepreneur) that I forwarded to my colleagues and printed out to take home.The author tells the story of Ann Miura-Ko. Ann picked up a job an administrative assistant for a dean at Yale. She asked her father, a rocket scientist at NASA, for advice.He told her to be “world-class” in her new job.That’s pretty mundane stuff, but he immediately suggested she think about how she could be world-class in her new job. This inspired Miura-Ko to change her approach. She created crisp copies that could not be discerned from the original document; she printed labels for her files rather than write them freehand; and, when she was tasked with bringing doughnuts to the office, she chose the freshest available.Her goal? To make everything a “delight moment” for her colleagues. A few years passed, and one day the dean asked Miura-Ko to give his friend Lewis a tour around the engineering school. Remembering her father’s words, Miura-Ko gave a great tour and developed a good rapport with the gentleman she was showing around.In the end, he was so impressed that he asked if she would like to come to California for a tour of his company. That was when she learned that “Lewis” was Lewis “Lew” Platt, CEO of Hewlett Packard (HP).Miura-Ko jumped at the opportunity to visit HP, and when she returned to campus, Lew sent her two pictures. The first one was of herself sitting next to Lew. The second picture was of Bill Gates sitting exactly where she had sat. This image left a lasting impression on Miura-Ko, and Platt became a key figure in her professional development.Today, Ann Miura-Ko is “the most powerful woman in startups,” according to Forbes. She has played a key role in helping to shatter the glass ceiling for women in her industry.Please read the rest of the article. There’s good stuff in there. (Here’s a pic of a ceiling inside the Bureau of Engraving and Printing gift shop. You can find world-class everywhere. The ceiling was so beautiful, I had to stop and take a photo.)What a beautiful concept. Whatever the task, try to be world-class.Write world-class emails.Hold world-class meetings.Be a world-class boss.Be a world-class employee.Be a world-class father. Or sibling. Or child. Or spouse.I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m not world-class in anything. But since reading this article, I’ve made a conscious effort to try harder.The opportunities are endless. But it starts with a choice.Be excellent. (And if you want to watch a fun movie that hits on this topic, watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi on Netflix) 3SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Anthony Demangone Anthony Demangone is executive vice president and chief operating officer at the National Association of Federal Credit Unions (NAFCU). Demangone oversees day-to-day operations and manages the association’s education, membership, … Web: https://www.cuinsight.com/partner/nafcu Details
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » Every governance educator I know working with CUES has made it clear to their audiences and in their content pieces for CUES that board term limits and more frequent replacement of board members is the new normal. In my case, I suggest term limits of three, three-year terms for a total service period of nine years, assuming a board member continues to get re-elected.Most other governing domains in business and the not-for-profit sector find this service period adequate for continuity and yet positive for refreshing board perspective on a regular basis. Staggering terms allows a board to move members off while retaining a cadre of at least two-thirds of the board who continue so that a credit union doesn’t have a brand new board every three years.Here are some of the “objections” I’ve heard while speaking to this issue over the last 10 years of leading CUES governance seminars and what my response is.1. I have a good historical knowledge of my credit union.While historical knowledge is helpful, it is not critical to future decision-making. It is also likely that with staged board turnover every year that there will also be remaining board members with historical knowledge of about six to nine years … totally sufficient for governance.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Spoiled millionaires have the right to disrespect the flag and national anthem, but the vice president doesn’t have the right to walk out on them?Actors on Broadway have a right to disrespect the vice president from the stage, but he has no rights?Garbage. Wake up and show some respect. Maybe then people will listen to your message, whatever it is. I have still not heard it.Listen, it’s about the American flag and the national anthem. Time to stand, all you NFL players.If it’s not about the national anthem, flag and military, why are the protests during the national anthem?The NFL is backing down because it knows using the flag and anthem is wrong.An NFL game is four hours long. Use any of the remaining three hours, 58 minutes and 30 seconds to protest anything you want — not during the anthem. Period. Stand up and show respect.John MetalloSlingerlandsMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationAlbany County warns of COVID increaseEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes
Danish offshore drilling contractor Maersk Drilling has secured more work for a jack-up rig and a drillship offshore the UK and Africa, respectively. Maersk Innovator rig; Source: Maersk DrillingIn its latest fleet status report, released on Wednesday, the rig owner said that CNOOC Petroleum Europe had exercised a one-well option for the Maersk Innovator jack-up rig in direct continuation of the rig’s current work scope.The option is expected to start in the first quarter of 2020 and end in June 2020. In addition, six one-well options remain for the rig.CNOOC previously exercised a one-well option for the 2003-built jack-up rig in June 2019. Under the option, the Maersk Innovator continued drilling infill wells at the Buzzard field on the UK Continental Shelf. This extension expires in February 2020.Maersk Drilling also said that the Maersk Voyager drillship had been awarded a conditional letter of award for a three-well exploration campaign with Tota in Angola and Namibia, plus an additional two one-well options.The contract is expected to begin at the end of 2019 and to be completed in August 2020. The rig is expected to have off-rate time in 4Q 2019 for SPS.The 2015-built drillship’s previous contract was with Kosmos Energy for operations offshore Equatorial Guinea.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
TVNZ One News 19 January 2018Family First Comment: Trump delivers – again!www.chooselife.nzMoving to solidify its standing with social conservatives, the Trump administration is creating an office to protect the religious rights of medical providers, including those who oppose abortion.The announcement Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Services drew immediate criticism from Democrats who said it could undermine the rights of women, as well as LGBTI people.The new division will be part of the HHS Office for Civil Rights, which enforces federal anti-discrimination and privacy laws. The administration said it will focus on enforcing conscience and religious protections already part of federal law. No new efforts to expand such protections were announced. The HHS civil rights office gets a small number of complaints involving religious and conscience rights, but the number has grown since President Donald Trump was elected.READ MORE: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/trump-administration-moves-protect-medical-providers-oppose-abortionKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox. “President Trump promised the American people that his administration would vigorously uphold the rights of conscience and religious freedom,” acting HHS Secretary Eric Hargan said in a statement. “That promise is being kept today.”
SEOUL – North Korean troops fired multiple gunshots towards the South in the Demilitarized Zone dividing the peninsula on Sunday, prompting South Korean forces to fire back, Seoul said. The rare exchange of gunfire comes a day after North Korean state media reported that leader Kim Jong Un had made his first public appearance in nearly three weeks following an absence that triggered intense speculation about his health and fears about the stability of the isolated nation. The Demilitarized Zone dividing North and South Korea is one of the most fortified places in the world. AFP A South Korean guard post was hit by several shots from the North, the joint chiefs of staff in Seoul said in a statement, adding no casualties were reported in the South. (AFP)
Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black HolesThe Runner Who Makes Elaborate Artwork With His Feet And A Map6 Most Overpowered Live Action Disney CharactersWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?33 Celebs Photos From Their Childhood: Will You Recognize Them?11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?This Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalDid You Know There’s A Black Hole In The Milky Way?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs Read Also: Bonucci defends Ronaldo: Even the greatest miss penaltiesHe has scored 15 goals against these opponents and the last time was when he got a hat-trick at the Camp Nou earlier in the season. That was the day he presented his sixth Ballon d’Or to the crowd.After a three month break, Messi knows that Barca’s aspirations of winning La Liga are down to him so he has been training to get back in form. He has shown pace and scored some brilliant goals in the most recent training sessions. And if that were not enough, he has his friend Suarez alongside him.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The leaders will play first and then Real Madrid will play afterwards. That is what will happen in the first four matchdays since the restart, Messi set alarm bells ringing a few days ago after not appearing in training and staying in the gym. Loading… Lionel Messi is looking forward to football again. The Argentine is in perfect conditions and he is facing one of his favourite victims. In the match at the Camp Nou earlier in the season, he got a hat-trick against Mallorca. #Barcelona explained that it was done as a precaution and Messi returned a few days later. The Argentine star has shown that he is in great form and that he has his shooting boots on. Mallorca are scared because Leo’s numbers are outstanding.Messi has faced the islanders 13 times and won 10 of those encounters, drawn two and lost one. That defeat came in the 2007-08 season when he had to go off injured in the second half.